North African Chicken Tagine
Serves 10 | Cooks In 120 Mins
- 20 Chicken Thighs, bone and skin on
- 40ml Vegetable Oil
- 400g Peeled and sliced Shallots
- 4 Peeled and crushed Garlic Clove
- 30g Peeled and grated Ginger
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 4 Cinnamon sticks
- 2 Pinch Saffron
- 2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Pinch Dried Chilli Flakes
- 800g Peeled and diced Butternut squash
- 1000ml Chicken Stock (Liquid)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 40g Chopped Coriander
- Ensure the chicken is dry and season it. Batch fry in a large heavy bottomed saucepan/casserole until golden and set aside.
- Turn the pan to a medium heat and add the shallots and cook until golden, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute or two then add the spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add the squash to the pan and stir through. Place the chicken on top of the squash and shallots and pour over the stock and honey.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and transfer to the oven (at approx 180C), covered for 20 minutes and then uncovered for a further half and hour.
- Scatter over the coriander and serve with cous cous and mild peri peri yoghurt dressing.